Hollows (虚 (ホロウ), Horō) are a separate race of Souls, born from former Pluses. These souls were unable to pass into Soul Society via Konsō, and lost their Chain of Fate to the process of Encroachment, becoming Hollows.
According to Ichibē Hyōsube, Hollows are an ancient existence, having lived in the First Era during the period when life and death did not exist, and progression and regression were twisting concepts. Yet even then, the circulation of souls existed, and Hollows eventually came to join it.
These Hollows would devour the souls of Humans, causing the circulation of souls to stagnate. This coalescence birthed the first gigantic Hollow, a Menos. The world naturally rejected the existence of this Hollow, and the man who would come to be known as the Soul King destroyed this new entity, allowing the circulation of souls to resume once more. The Soul King would continue to defend the world from the Hollows by annihilating them. This destruction, in turn, would slowly lead the world down the path towards chaos.
Hollows are a type of Soul that preys on Humans. They are drawn to large sources of spiritual energy and are opportunistic in the way they attack. Hollows are distinguishable from other spirits by the holes in their chests and the masks on their faces. A Hollow's hole is created by their loss of a human heart. This heart is then reshaped and becomes their mask.
A soul who is in the process of becoming a Hollow is referred to as a Demi-Hollow (半虚 (デミ・ホロウ), Demi-Horō; Literally meaning "Half Hollow"). Demi-Hollows appear to be ordinary Souls, yet have a Spiritual Power and a scream that resembles a Hollow. The only known example of a Demi-Hollow was a Jibakurei bound to an old hospital.
Hollows are varied creatures with a multitude of supernatural powers at their disposal. These abilities, in addition to their own physical build, are what classify Hollows with one trait or another. There are few known classifications of Hollows that do exist, and most categories tend to be specific:
- Low-Level: Fishbone D was recognized as a low-level Hollow.
- Power Emphasis: Certain Hollows, such as Bulbous G, place an emphasis on physical power.
- Servant User: Shrieker is a known example of a Hollow that utilizes servants with special abilities.
- Half-Human and Half-Snake: A classification specific to Acidwire, due to his Naga-like appearance.
- Evil Scheming: Grand Fisher is noted to be a Hollow of this classification.
- Controlling Others: A classification of Hollow which control other entities. Numb Chandelier is of this type.
- Huge Hollows: There is also a blanket classification of Hollows referred to as Huge Hollows. These Hollows are characterized by their spiritual pressure, which resembles that of a Menos-class Hollow. Tier Hallibel theorized these Hollows can take in reishi from the surrounding area to empower themselves.
Menos (メノス, menosu; Spanish for "Minus" or "Less") are a sub-species of cannibalistic Hollows that consist of those Hollows who have devoured countless members of their own kind in order to evolve into greater forms.
Over time, those Hollows who feast on their own kind will congregate and begin mutually feasting upon one another. In doing so, they can continue to climb the ranks of the Menos until they reach the peak: the Vasto Lorde. However, they must continue feeding or they will regress and never be able to evolve again. The only known Hollow to have regressed and retained his personality was Szayelaporro Grantz, who, through experimentation, reverted from a Vasto Lorde to an Adjuchas.
Likewise, if a Hollow has even a piece of them eaten, they will cease to evolve. The ability to evolve may also be determined at the moment a Human Soul becomes a Hollow. If this were the case, than only certain Hollows have the ability to become Vasto Lorde.
|Gillian||Gillian (最下大虚 (ギリアン), girian; Japanese for "Lowest Great Hollow"), also known as Menos Grande (大虚 (メノスグランデ), menosu gurande; Spanish for "Less Big" or "Big Minus", Japanese for "Great Hollow"), are the weakest class of Menos Hollows, comparable to foot soldiers. They are said to all look and act alike, and are typically slow and unintelligent. Captain-level Shinigami can deal with them with ease.|
|Adjuchas||Adjuchas (中級大虚 (アジューカス), ajūkasu; Japanese for "Intermediate Great Hollow") are the second class of Menos Hollows. These Hollows are smaller and less numerous than the Gillians. However, they have sharper intelligence and far greater battle power than the Menos Grande.|
|Vasto Lorde||Vasto Lorde (最上大虚 (ヴァストローデ), vasuto rōde; Japanese for "Highest Great Hollow") are the third and most powerful class of Menos Hollows. Their size and shapes are comparable to humans, and their populations are much smaller than the other classes, but their strength is above that of a captain-level Shinigami.|
Main article: Arrancar
The Arrancar (破面 (アランカル), arankaru; Spanish for "To Tear Off", Japanese for "Ripped Mask") are a group of Hollows that gained Shinigami powers by removing their masks. The process of creating an Arrancar is known as Shinigamification (死神化 (しにがみか), Shinigamika; Literally meaning "Death God Transformation"), as the Hollow in question is shedding its mask to gain Shinigami powers.
- Tite Kubo chose Spanish as the naming motif for Hollows and Arrancar because he found the language to sound evil.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Bleach: Can't Fear Your Own World III
- ↑ Bleach chapter 1
- ↑ Bleach chapter 433
- ↑ Bleach chapter 28
- ↑ Bleach: Official Character Book SOULs
- ↑ Bleach: Official Character Book SOULs page 37
- ↑ Bleach: Official Character Book SOULs page 69
- ↑ Bleach: Official Character Book SOULs page 34
- ↑ Bleach: Official Character Book SOULs page 40
- ↑ Bleach: Official Character Book SOULs page 53
- ↑ Bleach: Official Character Book SOULs page 71
- ↑ Bleach chapter 48
- ↑ Bleach chapter 284
- ↑ Bleach: Spirits Are Forever With You II
- ↑ Bleach ch285
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Bleach chapter 197
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Bleach: Official Character Book 2 MASKED
- ↑ Bleach chapter 175